Indian in England

Musings of a student

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Who but the English...

THE English are possibly the most stiff-lipped bunch ever to sip beer and watch football, but one thing you cannot accuse them of is lacking a sense of humour. Their humour, like the rest of them, is very English – splendidly deadpan.

Bill Bryson tells of his meeting with a bearded Englishman stuck in the London Underground. Mr Beard's response to Bryson's query on how long he's been in the tube was, "Well, let's just say when I got here I was cleanshaven."

Isn't that classic? My own favourite, though, is the one I saw on BBC South the other day. There was a bit of rain this side, and the sea had done some damage to a few coastal villas. So there was this stocky, oldish gent standing in front of his house, his arm around his stocky wife, and telling the camera how it is to wake up in the morning and find most of your garden has vanished. This is what he said, more or less:

“I think it was about six in the morning when we heard a rumble. I looked out and I thought, oh, that's nice, the view has improved. So I walked to the window and found the garden has been freshly landscaped as well.”

Who but the English could say that, hey?

3 Comments:

Blogger Darren G. Lilleker said...

I remember my grandmother commenting, after hearing a weather report predicting heavy rain, that at elast she wouldn't have to hose down the yard. In the wettest nation in Europe you have to think positive

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Years ago when I used to climb with the University Climbing Club we took some French students to Derbyshire for a weeks climbing out doors. One earnest young French student would always ask before an ascent "Is it safe?". We thought this hilarious as is self evidently wasn't but we always said Yes. From then on at moments of great peril someone would shout "Is it Safe?" to relieve to tension to laughter all round. The French student never got the joke and to this day alumni of the club when they meet will ask "Is it Safe?" to raise a smile.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Hornswoggler said...

March 10 2007 is a long time ago no?

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home